Total: $20 for the whole batch, which ends up being around 10 meals for us
Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Brown Rice (free from Rainbow a few weeks ago)
- Chicken ($1 from Sam's Club)
- Broccoli ($1 from Target - I will only use half of the head of broccoli)
- Carrots ($1 from Target)
- Green Peppers
- Onions (stocked in pantry)
- Stir-fry sauce (stocked in fridge)
Chicken and Stuffing
- Chicken Breasts ($2)
- Stove-top Stuffing ($.50 on sale a while back)
Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Turkey Meatballs ($2)
- Spaghetti Sauce ($1 from Rainbow last week)
- Noodles (free from Rainbow a few weeks ago)
Sesame Chicken Salad (from BHG.com) (I didn't get a chance to make this last week)
- Salad Greens (1/2 package $2)
- 2 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken ($1 - I use one large chicken breast)
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can whole baby corn, drained and halved crosswise
- 2 green onions, sliced (stocked in fridge from a previous recipe)
- 1/4 cup sliced radishes (we don't like these, so we aren't using them)
- 1/2 cup orange juice (stocked in freezer, made concentrated juice)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar or white vinegar (stocked in pantry)
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (stocked in pantry)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (stocked in pantry)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted* (stocked in pantry)
For dressing, combine the orange juice, vinegar, sesame oil, and pepper. Cover and shake well.
Pour dressing over greens mixture; toss gently to coat. Divide greens mixture among 6 salad bowls. Sprinkle with sesame seed.
Makes 6 servings.
For smaller portions, mix the salad items and dressing together individually. The remaining can be used for leftovers.
*Note: To toast sesame seed, in a nonstick skillet cook and stir sesame seed over medium heat about 1 minute or just until golden brown. Watch closely so the seeds don't burn. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl to cool completely.
- Black Beans ($.20)
- Ground Beef ($2.49)
- Taco Seasoning (stocked in pantry)
- Tortilla Shells ($.75)
Out to dinner this night, but if you are looking for a dinner, I would try a crock pot lasagna. Let me know if you have or find a good recipe. We want to try this next week.